Spelling...bane of my existence

OK, chalk up another one to a "blond moment".  Even though blogger itself doesn't show a spell check on this toolbar (that I can see so far), the Google Toolbar does.  And it'll spell check any page, including this new post that I'm writing in.

Oh wow.  I feel so silly.  And enlightened.  And I'm so happy that I look enlightened, cause even when I can't spell "enlightened", google spell check can!

I'm going back through my previous posts that I didn't type in Windows Live writer, to see what I missed.  Betcha I missed a bunch.  Wow.  Google spell-check doesn't care about the word "betcha", but oh well.  At least some words I have confidence in.  Srsly.  (Haha...it doesn't like shortened text slang either.)


I don't know why I'm such a horrible speller.  Mom always blamed it on the fact that I was raised on the "look and see" method in school, without phonics.  She's probably right. 

I remember a day in high school where my high school English teacher took me aside one day after class.  Frowning, she waves a test paper under my nose saying, "Holly, your reading comprehension and writing skills are so good, we'd like to put you in honors English!" 

I look at her puzzled.  This sounds like good news.  Why does she look so upset?

I didn't have to wait long.

Leaning in close and lowering her voice to a fierce whisper, she hisses, "But your spelling and grammar are so atrocious that we'd like to put you in remedial English!  We don't know what to do with you!"

She puts the test paper down with a sigh and announces in defeat, "So we're leaving you alone.  You're just gonna stay right where you are."

Uh...thank you...I think?

Twenty something years later, I'm STILL dealing those same issues.  Some days, I think I just need to go back to school.  **sigh**  I heart you, spell check. 

7 comments:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

My sympathies on your spelling/grammar dilemma. If you Google either subject, you'll find lots of helpful websites. :)

Thanks for becoming a follower at my blog. I've signed up here.

Blessings,
Susan

Deb said...

Holly,

If you ever need help in grammar, just holla.

Yes, I know I break a few of those golden rules on my blog.

But I've walked the straight and narrow for so long.

Just wanna have some fun.

I'm following.

Sweet dreams.

Holly said...

Thanks Susan and Deb! I appreciate your help and kind words! I had another sweet friend point out that I didn't even spell check the topic of my post, for even the word "existence" was misspelled.

I don't know whether to bang my head on the keyboard or laugh.

I chose "laugh". :D

Holly said...

Arg! Grammar is such a pain too! I meant to say, I CHOOSE "laugh", as in the present tense to be coupled with the previous sentence.

La...

I now see that while I can edit posts in blogger, I do not see a way to edit my comments, yet. Hmmm.

You don't think this would have anything to do with the fact that I worked on creating another blog site for a friend and stayed up till 2 a.m. working on it, do you? ;D

Karen Lange said...

You know, not everyone is a terrific speller. But I am sure that you are just plain fabulous at other things! Three cheers for spell check:)
Blessings,
Karen

Unknown said...

I think it adds character. *shrug*

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Holy,
I jest doon git whatyur sayin aab out yur speling skils. I thenk ther perfeck.

Luv U,
me

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, and God bless you! ~ Holly

Where you can buy my CD "Never Abandoned"

My latest songs...

Follow me...

Ask me to speak...

CLASSeminar Graduate

I write for...

Blog Awards

Blog Awards
I feel wuved...

I like to read...